Not in Funky Town for the game — or don’t want to face the heat? We’ve got you covered.
TCU HORNED FROGS (1-0, Big 12: 0-0) vs CAL GOLDEN BEARS (0-1, Pac-12: 0-0)
Date: Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021 Time: 2:30 p.m.
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Venue: Amon G. Carter Stadium (46,000)
Series Record: TCU leads 1-0
Last Meeting: TCU 10, Cal 7 (OT), 2018 Cheez-It Bowl
TV: ESPNU Talent: Kevin Brown, Hutson Mason
Radio: WBAP 820 AM, Sirius 113, XM 199
Talent: Brian Estridge, John Denton, Landry Burdine
Spanish Radio: Zona MX 99.1 FM
Talent: Miguel Cruz, Elvis Gallegos
ABOUT THE GAME
- TCU hosts Cal on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on ESPNU.
- The Horned Frogs and Golden Bears were scheduled to meet in the 2020 season opener in Berkeley, before the Pac-12 announced that its members would play conference games only due to COVID-19.
- Dating back to last season, the Horned Frogs have won their last four games to tie for the eighth longest active winning streak in the nation. They have also won six of their past seven contests.
- TCU is looking to open its season with a 2-0 record for the 13th time in Head Coach Gary Patterson’s 21 seasons.
- Based on votes received last week, TCU was 28th in the Associated Press poll and 32nd in the USA Today Coaches ranking.
- Under Patterson, TCU is 7-0 against Pac-12 opponents. 4TCU and Cal are playing for just the second time in their history. The first meeting saw the Horned Frogs defeat the Golden Bears 10-7 in overtime in the 2018 Cheez-It Bowl in Phoenix.
- TCU’s games against Pac-12 teams will continue with upcoming home-and-home series with Colorado (2022-23) and Stanford (2024-27). 4TCU defeated Duquesne, 45-3, for its 16th season-opening victory in the last 19 seasons.
VERSUS THE PAC-12
- TCU’s 7-0 record against the Pac-12 under Head Coach Gary Patterson includes just one home game, a 31-14 victory over Stanford in 2008.
- The Horned Frogs have had bowl wins over Oregon (47-41, 3 OT, 2016 Alamo Bowl), Stanford (39-37, 2017 Alamo Bowl) and Cal (10-7, OT, 2018 Cheez-It Bowl) in addition to a 30-21 neutral site (Arlington) victory over Oregon State in 2010 and road wins at Stanford (38-36, 2007) and Arizona (13-10, OT, 2003).
HOME SWEET HOME
- TCU is opening a season with four straight home games for just the second time (1979) in its history.
- The Horned Frogs are 93-27 under Head Coach Gary Patterson at Amon G. Carter Stadium.
- Over the last seven seasons, TCU is tied for the Big 12’s second-best conference record (38-25) and has the third-best overall mark (59-30).
- TCU is one of just seven programs nationally to finish with an Associated Press Top-10 final ranking in at least three of the last seven seasons (2014, 2015, 2017). The others are Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Penn State.
- TCU head coach Gary Patterson, at 21 seasons, is the nation’s second-longest tenured head coach, trailing only Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz (23rd year).
- Patterson has released two music singles in which he wrote and provided lead vocals on, “Take A Step Back” and “Game On.”
HORNED FROGS TO WATCH
- TCU has three Preseason All-Americans in punt returner Derius Davis, cornerback Tre’Vius HodgesTomlinson and defensive end Ochaun Mathis.
- Davis led the Big 12 and ranked fifth nationally last season in punt return average at 14.5 yards. He was one of only three players in the FBS with two punt returns for touchdowns.
- Hodges-Tomlinson was rated by Pro Football Focus last season as the nation’s highest-graded cornerback in coverage.
- Mathis led the conference and ranked 12th nationally in sacks per game. He recorded a team best 9.0 sacks in just 10 contests.
- TCU is the practice site this week for the New Orleans Saints.
- The Saints will be the third NFL team in the last 11 years to practice at TCU. The Dallas Cowboys have utilized the Horned Frogs’ Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility, while TCU was the host practice site for the Pittsburgh Steelers during Super Bowl XLV in Arlington.
- Since it began Big 12 play in 2012, TCU has had over $400 million in donor-funded athletics facilities upgrades. The most recent project was the $113 million Legends Club & Suites which opened in Fall 2020 on the east side of Amon G. Carter Stadium.